Sunday, July 28, 2019

Beauty and the Beast Review: Intro


You may have noticed that I’ve been terrible about blogging lately. Sorry. Next week we’ll be starting a new blog series, which hopefully will help me to stay on track, as well as giving me an excuse to reread my favorite books: I’m going to be reviewing Beauty and the Beast retellings. (This might not happen every week, as there are still lots of other things to talk about.)

So far there are ten books I’m planning to review, listed at the end of this post. I’m only doing straight Beauty and the Beast retellings, not variants like East of the Sun, West of the Moon, because I hope to do this again in the future with other fairy tales, including ones that might count as variants. If you think of any other Beauty and the Beast retellings I should review, let me know!

These reviews will consistently have one major spoiler, because I think it’s a really interesting trend that needs to be talked about: I’m going to tell you whether the Beast turns back into a man or stays a Beast at the end of each retelling. About half the Beasts on my current list stay Beasts!

This series will begin next Sunday with Robin McKinley’s Beauty.

Upcoming Books to Be Reviewed (Not Necessarily in Order):

·         Beauty by Robin McKinley
·         Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley
·         Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
·         Beastly by Alex Flinn
·         Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
·         Hunted by Meagan Spooner
·         Byrony and Roses by T. Kingfisher
·         Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen
·         As Old as Time by Liz Braswell
·         Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen




This post was available one week ago for patrons. Click here to learn about supporting Jenny on Patreon!


No comments:

Post a Comment